Dynasty DynamicsWhat To Do About...

Transcript – Live Chat With TDG Senior Writer Keaton DeRocher

Thanks for joining my first ever live chat! We’ve been discussing doing these for some time so if all goes well, I’ll be doing these more along with other senior writers here at TDG! So the more you participate the more we’ll do!

Obligatory shame plugs:

Follow me on twitter: @TheSpokenKeats

Check out my re-occurring column called Keaton It Real that comes out on Fridays. This Friday is my first half all-disappointment team

Also, check out the Triple play which I do with Adam Lawler and Patrick Magnus. Milwaukee is the next one in that series

And finally, if you’re into Podcasts, check out Dynasty’s Child!

Let’s get to the Qs!

That will do it folk’s thanks for the questions! The queue has died down so I’ll call it a night! See the comments section below for the transcript of the chat and we’ll do this again soon.

Keaton O. DeRocher

Keaton O. DeRocher

Keaton O. DeRocher is an Industrial Engineer in Chicago and Senior Baseball Writer for The Dynasty Guru. A voice on Dynasty's Child podcast and Over The Monster podcast. Lover of bat flips, brunch, and Bombay Sapphire. His High School batting average was .179 and he lead the team in strikeouts. Follow him on Twitter @TheSpokenKeats

1. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:08 pm

Is Christian Vazquez for real? I have Posey in a dynasty and I’m ready to move on.

• July 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm

I think he is. I actually made this exact swap in a 20 team league about a month and a half ago and it’s paid off. The biggest change for Vazquez is he’s using the opposite field much more and it’s paying off.

2. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:12 pm

What’s Jose Ramirez’s value? What tier of player would you offer to acquire him?

• July 2, 2019 at 7:17 pm

Boy, this is a tough one. He’s at least still giving you steals so that’s a small plus but there’s not much else. I’d put him in the 10-20 range of 3B, not sure what that means for the value of acquiring but his owner will probably want more than you’re willing to give up.

3. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:12 pm

One of your New Year’s Resolutions was to win your home league. How’s that going?

• July 2, 2019 at 7:18 pm

Got ’em right where I want ’em!

4. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:13 pm

Is there a prospect outside the top-25 that you’re totally infatuated with?

• July 2, 2019 at 7:22 pm

Using Jesse’s most recent top 200, Vidal Brujan at #31. I picked him as one of my Top Podspect noms on Dynasty’s Child early last year, I love everything about his skill set and profile.

5. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:15 pm

When researching a prospect, what’s the most important tool you look for? For example, if hit is projected below 50, I rarely even bother.

• July 2, 2019 at 7:26 pm

I don’t know if there is one singular tool I look for but a handful of things. Walk rate, and strikeout rate and how they are maintained as they progress is a big one extra-base hits is something I notice too if they project as power centric but it hasn’t shown up yet. THose are some things you can use to gauge how a prospect is trending vs their grades. I’m not sure if that exactly answers your question, but I don’t think I’m turned away by any grade at face value.

6. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:16 pm

I’m just here for the Wander Javier talk.

• July 2, 2019 at 7:27 pm

This just feels right. Much like Wander Javier in the middle of a diamond and a batting order.

7. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:17 pm

While watching the Blue Jays my wife commented that she’s attracted to baseball players wearing those sports glasses (like half the Jays). What does that say about me?

• July 2, 2019 at 7:27 pm

I think it means you should start wearing sports goggles in the bedroom.

8. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:18 pm

Reasonable to say that Vlad is a candidate for you first half disappointment team?

• July 2, 2019 at 7:42 pm

I wouldn’t say that. He’s 20 years old and this is his first taste of Major League competition. I know people expected him to be slashing .400/.600/1.200 by now but give him a chance first. He’s already turned his slow start around. He’ll have a better second half.

9. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:22 pm

Could you be more specific re: the home league question? Where is it that you want ‘em, which is where they are?

10. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:22 pm

What do you think of eovaldi in the closer role?

• July 2, 2019 at 7:33 pm

I don’t hate it. The Red Sox bullpen is overworked and bad and no one has defined roles which adds to the chaos so this fleshes some of it out. I wonder though, for a dude with elbow issues is pitching small amounts but more frequently better or worse than large amounts more infrequently? Either way, they still need to add another reliever, and it isn’t Darwinzon Hernandez.

11. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:23 pm

NBA is now a 12-month sport. There are reasons the MLB draft isnt as exciting, that’s fair. But is there a way you’d improve the offseason (free agency changes?) that would make the game’s interest extend more to the offseason?

• July 2, 2019 at 7:37 pm

Yes, there is. First, all picks are tradeable. Second, pick compensation for free agents would be gone. We don’t need the best players in the game sitting around until February or June waiting to be signed. That’s killed the offseason. Then, (although I admit this is much more difficult and I don’t have an answer) some way to make player free agents sooner. part of what makes the NBA so wild si players are free agents twice before they are 27/28 years old.

12. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Who’s the best sell-high candidate? Someone that you think will get the most value (because a lot of people believe in them) but won’t live up to the return?
    Also, how’s Little One?

• July 2, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Little One is wonderful and having a nice snooze through this exciting chat right next to me. I have two sell highs, 1 is JBJ. He’s doing it again and it’s not going to last and people are falling for it, so sell as fast as possible and 2nd Lance Lynn.

13. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:27 pm

Is Stranger Things overrated?

• July 2, 2019 at 7:29 pm

I have seen a grand total of zero minutes of that show, so I feel unqualified to answer.

14. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:29 pm

What’s the best baseball fan promotion you’ve ever received?

• July 2, 2019 at 7:46 pm

I drove to Milwaukee specifically for a Mayor of Ding Dong City bobblehead that I had to have, which I attached to the top of a trophy for a league I’m in. Even though I don’t have the trophy anymore it’s still my favorite bobble head.

15. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:34 pm

Long time listener first time contributer…I traded Trout in a 24 team deep dynasty…Grade my return in a heavy rebuild….
    Trout/Nix/Decolati/Devin Travis/Jomar Reyes in exchange for:
    Alex Kiriloff/Forrest Whitley/Sean Manaea/AJ Puk/Jonathan India

Fantasy Anonymous

• July 2, 2019 at 7:48 pm

There’s more risk there than you would like in a Trout trade with all those arms having injury concerns, but if they all hit that’s an ok return.

16. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:34 pm

Thoughts on Kyle Lewis?

• July 2, 2019 at 7:53 pm

I wish he was better. I bought into him pretty heavily and he just hasn’t closed the holes in his game. Swing is still too long and it’s actually gotten longer and the swing and miss has gotten worse. He should be better but he just isn’t and it’s a bummer.

17. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:35 pm

Remember Rob Kaminsky?

18. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:38 pm

Remember Thomas Szapucki?

• July 2, 2019 at 7:54 pm

Really twisting the knife with this one

19. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:39 pm

dynasty thoughts on CJ Cron vs Voit, Pham vs Hicks? and how the 2 1Bs compare to the OFs?

• July 2, 2019 at 7:58 pm

Voit > Cron, better hitter, better park, gets on base significantly more. Pham > Hicks better hitter, gets on base significantly more, much less competition for playing time. and I guess as a pairing I would take the 1B’s over the OF’s

20. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 7:47 pm

Name an MLB players that is clearly a cat and a player that is obviously a dog. If I were to pick, David Price is a cat. 100%, where as Pedro Martinez was 100% a fun loving doggo.

• July 2, 2019 at 8:05 pm

Willians Astudillo is definitely a dog, just running around happy to be there and Max Scherzer is a cat, always doing his own thing and he’ll come to you when he wants attention, which is probably never.

21. TDG Reader
    July 2, 2019 at 8:00 pm

What’s your favorite question you’ve received so far?

Dynasty's Child Episode 84: Posey Funeral Bells