TDG Weekly Report, June 16-22, 2018
This year, The Dynasty Guru will provide a weekly report nearly every Saturday. The weekly report will link to TDG articles for the past week, touch upon notable player developments, and preview upcoming TDG articles for the next week.
This Week at TDG
Top 240 Fantasy Prospects, June 2018 – updating the top 200 prospects and extending to 240 with new MLB draftees
The Dynasty Guru’s Triple Play: The St. Louis Cardinals! – analyzing Miles Mikolas, Jose Martinez, and Ryan Helsley
Oops! Three Reasons Why We Got These Catchers Wrong – advocating assured playing time with a track record, and do not chase upside at catcher
Notable Short Season Prospects – detailing top prospects in short season leagues
Three Players in Limbo – examining three young players (Tapia, Toles, and Reed) stuck in limbo at Triple-A
Romancing Deep Dynasty Prospects: June 2018 – identifying prospects for deeper leagues (16+ teams) worth monitoring
Notable Player Developments
- Surprisingly, the Twins optioned 2017 All-Star Miguel Sano all the way to High-A.
- Meanwhile, the Orioles optioned Chance Sisco and the Braves optioned Luiz Gohara to Triple-A.
- The Royals called up Adalberto Mondesi.
- A lot of action in the closer market. First, the Phillies optioned Hector Neris to Triple-A. Presumably, Seranthony Dominguez likely is the preferred option to close in Philadelphia. Second, the Nationals traded for Kelvin Herrera, opening the door for a free-for-all in Kansas City. Third, Hunter Strickland landed on the disabled list for 6-8 weeks, leaving Sam Dyson likely to assume the closer role for the Giants. Fourth, Brandon Morrow is on the disabled list, with Pedro Strop as the likely fill-in option. Finally, MLB issued a 75-game suspension to Roberto Osuna.
- With J.P. Crawford out for over a month, expect Maikel Franco to receive regular playing time again.
- Franchy Cordero has a bone spur in his right elbow and may need surgery. The Padres transferred him to the 60-day disabled list.
- Rehab assignments: Ronald Acuña Jr., Robbie Ray, Clayton Kershaw, Byron Buxton, Johnny Cueto, and Marcus Stroman.
- Disabled list returnees: Julio Teheran, Brandon Belt, Andrelton Simmons, Jeurys Familia, Elvis Andrus, Rich Hill, Joey Lucchesi, Kevin Kiermaier, Wil Myers, and Avisail Garcia.
- Injuries: Mike Foltynewicz (right triceps tendonitis); Matt Chapman (right thumb contusion); Jorge Soler (left toe fracture); Christian Arroyo (left oblique strain); Carlos Carrasco (right elbow contusion); Hunter Strickland (broken right hand); Jay Bruce (sore right hip); Matt Adams (fractured left index finger); Brandon Morrow (back); A.J. Ramos (torn labrum, out for the season); J.P. Crawford (fractured left hand); Michael Wacha (left oblique strain); Mike Soroka (right shoulder inflammation); Francisco Cervelli (concussion).
- Nick Senzel suffered a torn tendon in his right index finger Friday night and will have season-ending surgery on Tuesday.
- The Giants signed Joey Bart to a record signing bonus (for now) under the new system.
- Shane Bieber and Freddy Peralta are back in the majors, and performing well. Moving forward, Bieber likely will give up his fair share of hits and Peralta likely will be wildly inconsistent, sandwiching strong starts with short, inefficient outings.
- Meanwhile, the Padres optioned Franmil Reyes to Triple-A to make room for Wil Myers.
- Daulton Varsho suffered a fractured hamate bone in his hand.
Next Week at TDG
- TDG’s Triple Play
- Mini Prospect Week with early monthly updates!
- First Half All-Exceeding Expectations Team
- Positional Rankings for QB, RB, and WR