TDG Weekly Report, April 21-27, 2018
This year, The Dynasty Guru will provide a weekly report every Saturday. The weekly report will link to TDG articles for the past week, touch upon notable player developments, and preview upcoming TDG articles for the next week.
This Week at TDG
TDG Weekly Report, April 14-20, 2018 – last week’s report
Rotowire Releases its Updated Top 400 Dynasty Prospects – noting the risers in James Anderson’s top 400
TDG Podcast, Episode 32 – The Luzard King Cometh – discussing the recent promotions and notable stories from the week, among many other topics
THE DYNASTY GURU’S TRIPLE PLAY: Oakland Athletics! – analyzing Matt Olson, Sean Manaea, and Jesus Luzardo
Should You Panic About Sonny Gray? – examining the early season struggles of Sonny Gray
Yasmani’s Brand New Bag, ft. Yasiel Puig – advising patience with Yasiel Puig and caution with pull-happy, grounder generator Yasmani Grandal
Two Players to Buy, Two to Sell, and Two to Hold According to Statcast – delving into the difference between on-field results and batted ball performance
Esteban Quiroz: The Red Sox Second Basemen You Should Stash – evaluating Esteban Quiroz’s state-side debut, his proximity, and potential fantasy value
Black and Gold Enigma: Tyler Glasnow – examining Tyler Glasnow’s fall from grace and potential redemption
Injury Report – Dynasty Implications: Danny Salazar, Carlos Rodon, Kevin Kiermaier, and Steven Matz – Dr. Mike Tanner stops by to provide injury analysis
Hold Opportunities: Don’t Overlook Relievers (HODOR) PT II – gauging the value of middle relievers
NFL Pre-Draft Rookie Rankings – ranking the top fantasy prospects in the NFL Draft
The NFL Draft is ongoing with rounds 1-3 in the books! TDG will provide further updated fantasy rankings for draft prospects in the coming weeks.
Notable Player Developments
- Speedy outfielders, Manuel Margot and Delino DeShields, returned from the disabled list this week.
- Salvador Perez is also back from the disabled list. Hopefully, the Royals have someone else handling his luggage.
- With the return of Eugenio Suarez from the disabled list, Nick Senzel likely will continue to bide his time in Triple-A.
- The Red Sox activated Xander Bogaerts on Friday. He will hope to pick up where he left off, hitting .368/.400/.711 with 2 home runs.
- David Dahl and he is receiving regular playing time against right-handed pitchers in place of Carlos Gonzalez (below). Once a highly-regarded prospect, Dahl is an excellent hitter with both power and speed. If he is available in your league, add him.
- Jung Ho Kang was finally granted a work visa following his third DUI arrest and should report to the Pirates shortly. It is unclear what type of impact (if any) he will make this year. Kang likely will start in extended Spring Training.
- A third straight blown save for Fernando Rodney may open the door to save opportunities for Addison Reed.
- The injury to Eric Thames opens a path to part-time playing time for Jesus Aguilar. However, Ryan Braun likely will receive the lion’s share of starts at first base for the foreseeable future.
- Yoan Moncada is flashing serious power, speed, and patience. We may be witnessing the emergence of the superstar we were promised.
- With the return of Ryon Healy, the Mariners optioned Daniel Vogelbach to the minors. He hit just .204/.317/.352 in 19 games.
- The notable injuries: Anthony Rendon (toe contusion); Carlos Gonzalez (right hamstring strain); Avisail Garcia (right hamstring strain); Eric Thames (torn UCL in left thumb); Adrian Beltre (left hamstring strain); Andrew Miller (left hamstring strain).
- This week was a week of elite prospect promotions. The Braves promoted the top prospect in baseball, Ronald Acuna. The Yankees called up top 10 prospect Gleyber Torres who is receiving regular playing time at second base. Meanwhile, the Dodgers promoted flame-thrower Walker Buehler.
- In lesser prospect promotion news, Nick Kingham is debuting on Sunday for the Pirates. After missing time in 2015 and 2016 due to Tommy John surgery, he is under-the-radar. He could provide a nice streaming option.
- Nick Madrigal returned to action for Oregon State last week. He missed the last eight weeks with a fractured left wrist.
- Next week is a mini-prospect week! I will provide updates on early risers/fallers at each position on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons.
Next Week at TDG
- PROSPECT WEEK!
- Monthly Prospect Update: Infielders, April 2018
- Monthly Prospect Update: Outfielders, April 2018
- Monthly Prospect Update: Pitchers, April 2018
- TDG’s Triple Play
- TDGx2 1 Month Check-In
- Monitoring Hot & Cold Starts: A Year Long Exercise
- Checking In on Young MLB Dynasty Assets
- Holds the Door: Addison Reed & Bryan Shaw