All Questions AnsweredUncategorized

A Good Ol’ Weekend AQA (All Questions Answered)

As the number of questions I get on Twitter have seen a bump since the season has started (which I would expect), I am going start up a simple, old-fashioned AQA for this weekend. And yes, that means “All Questions Answered”. For those of you not familiar with the concept of an AQA, it’s really simple — you leave a question in the comments and we will answer it. We may not answer it within five minutes or an hour, but every question left in this thread will get an answer.

So if you have trades you’re mulling over, roster decisions to make or just want some advice that is not particularly easy to cut down to 140 characters, leave it in the comments. We will take questions on all types of leagues: dynasty, keeper, redraft, sim, etc. If you play it, you can ask it. Or even if you want to ask something random and non-baseball related, we’ll answer it. I take the ALL in AQA very seriously. Unsolicited compliments are also welcome (neigh, encouraged). And as a reminder, it’s very easy to find any of us on Twitter–

Bret: @dynastyguru
Craig: @cdgoldstein
Ben: @bcarsley22

So fire away. We’ll be waiting.

The Dynasty Guru

The Dynasty Guru

1. Stormin' Norman
    April 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Amaze-balls.
    Q1: SSS and all, how do you feel about Stanton and Kemp now in you guys’ rankings for dynasty leagues? They were pretty much neck and neck in overall and outfield rankings (Stanton was a spot or two higher), but with Kemp struggling and the Marlins having no offense, how do they compare now?
    Q2: I’ve offered Kemp and A. bailey to our 2-time champ for Stanton and he’s incredibly concerned about Kemp to the point that he’s stalling hard on the trade, should I just give up and ride Kemp’s struggles out (I have Kemp, Stanton, Cespedes, with Puig, Taveras, Soler, and Puig waiting in the wings).
    Q3: What current player are you guys buying low on as much as possible in this short season?

• April 20, 2013 at 12:56 pm

My rankings for Kemp and Stanton haven’t changed yet. I was not in the group of people who were really excited about 2013 Stanton — but he’s going to hit 40+ for a long time. Still really like both of them and still would prefer Stanton. I’d have no issue with that trade if you don’t have a big need for Bailey, though he might close for a while now.

And as far as buying low, it’s really league dependent at this point, but I will almost always try to get pitchers who struggle out of the gate for cheap unless there’s a physical reason not to. Guys like Jarrod Parker or Edwin Jackson.

2. Jason Trotter
    April 20, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I am in a dynasty league with 3 keeper prospects. I already had taillon & singleton. I drafted addisson Russell with the 3rd pick over buxton, correra, soler, puig, & almora. I immediately started questioning my pick. Did I make the right call? What’s your outlook for Russell? When does he get called up? And if you have time your thought on singleton & taillon. Thanks love the site.

• April 20, 2013 at 2:09 pm

He’s not the guy I would have taken, but it’s not a bad pick. Russell could be a great fantasy player and is on the fast track for a player drafted out of HS in 2012. He should be up in 2015, and I wouldn’t rule out a 2014 debut. Big power at SS is never a bad thing. Taillon and Singleton are great fantasy prospects and could both be in the majors by August. I think there’s a decent chance that Taillon is the #1 pitching prospect in the game in 2014 (if he doesn’t exhaust his eligibility).

3. RJM
    April 20, 2013 at 12:44 pm

In my NL-only keeper league, I have three SS (Crawford, Cozart, and Everth Cabrera). All three are playing really well. I only have room for 2 of them in the lineup (SS and MI). Who keeps it up and who should I try to sell high on? In my league, in season trades make players ineligible to kept for the following year.

• April 20, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Sell Crawford, use Cozart and Cabrera.

4. Jesse
    April 20, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I get M. Holliday for B. Morrow and T. Cingani in a dynasty league. Hits and BA are both cats.

• April 20, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Seems fair to me. I’m not very high on Cingrani long-term and Morrow is unpredictable. If you need the bat, Holliday is certainly a guy who you know what you’re going to get from.

5. Juicebox
    April 20, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Saw a Russell question, but I have another. SSS, but he is STRUGGLING…is this a case of over agressive promotion, or simply a guy who isn’t as good as we thought? I have read only great things about him. Do you think he figures it out in high A? what is the usual adjustment period for a young player at a fairly high level?

• April 20, 2013 at 2:14 pm

It was an aggressive promotion, but organizations tend to give challenging assignments to players who can handle it, and Russell can handle it. He’ll take his lumps, adjust, develop and continue on his way. In other words, he’ll be fine and this is perfectly normal.

6. April 20, 2013 at 1:34 pm

What is a good way or resource site to stay ahead of the competition when it comes to 5 tool high school players, i see this kid Dazmon Cameron already in peoples radar for the 2015 MLB draft, is there a way to identify these type of players other than Perfect Game?

• April 20, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Perfect Game is the best resource out there for high school amateur talent. Beyond them, I haven’t found anything worth checking out on a consistent basis.

• April 20, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Would you pursue a player they label as 5 tool, like Cameron? In the lower rounds of rookie draft? Or is it too early?

7. Bryan
    April 20, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Question about a Dynasty League Trade. Team A gets Matt Kemp and Dayan Viciedo and Team B gets Pablo Sandoval and Josh Hamilton. 7 x 7 H2H league (extra categories are OPS and BB for hitters). Which side do you think gets the better side of the deal for right now and down the road? Thanks for the help!

• April 20, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I’d lean side A, just because of Kemp being the best player involved. I’m not that down on Hamilton, but there is a real gap between him and Kemp. Plus, Viciedo is an underrated source of power, so he’s more than just a throw-in.

8. Juicebox
    April 20, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Tyler Skaggs: minor league numbers have been pretty good throughout his career. Will never throw in the mid 90s, but good secondary stuff. What kind of numbers do you see him having in 2016-2018?

Does this sound right: 14-16 wins, 200 IP, 200K, 3.30-3.50 ERA.

• April 20, 2013 at 10:16 pm

The quantitative analysis I can get behind. As far as the quantitative, I think that’s too heavy on the strikeouts. I think he may top out as a 170-175 K guy.

9. April 20, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Is there any glimmer of hope out there for 2B? Any college players, Highschool? Middleschool? Any Cano’s 2.0?

• April 20, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Sure, there’s always some hope. I still think Alen Hanson ends up as a solid offensive 2B. Same with Eddie Rosario, at least until his defense becomes too terrible to avoid a move. But with that said, man is it a rough landscape at the position.

10. Joe
    April 20, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Any potential popup prospects catching your fantasy eye after the first few weeks of 2013?

• April 20, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Love what I’m seeing out of Rafael Montero of the Mets. I also like what I’ve seen from Jesse Hahn and Andrew Toles of the Rays. Another guy I peripherally have my eye on is Joan Gregorio of the Giants.

• Stephen Raymond
        April 21, 2013 at 10:39 am

I thought Gregorio was a pitcher?

• April 21, 2013 at 11:31 am

Agree on all the guys Bret listed. Hahn and Gregorio are pitchers. I’d also add Rosell Herrera, a SS in the Rockies’ org. He’s already 20 but has an intriguing skillset.

• Stephen Raymond
        April 21, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Should I keep Gregorio in a sim dynasty ahead of one of Jacob Anderson, Joe Terdoslavich or Justin Wilson and if so – which one to drop?

11. Brett
    April 20, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I’m in a 10-team 5×5 keeper league. 2 C, MI, CI, 5 OF, Util. 5 bench spots. Each team gets a franchise keeper plus 5 “contract” keepers (kept at the round they were drafted, round bumps up by 2 with each additional year kept, after 5 years of contract keeper they’re only eligible to be kept as franchise player).

So, with that info, two questions:
    1. How patient should I be with Lincecum? (16th round pick, but probably wouldn’t keep him.) I’ve watched his starts when I could, and he doesn’t seem to have any idea where the ball is going sometimes. But it seems like there’s enough possible upside there that I don’t want to cut him too early (especially since starting pitching is my weak spot early in the season).

2. I grabbed Billy Hamilton in the 22nd round and Puig in the 26th. Right now I’m happy enough with my team to burn two bench spots on minor league players. But at some point I may need room to make a move. Who’s more likely to contribute this season, and who’s more likely to be the high-value keeper that can help carry my team over the next 5 years?

• April 20, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I wouldn’t cut Lincecum yet, and I’d rather have Hamilton than Puig — especially if it’s a rotisserie league. Hamilton could win you a category on his own starting next year.

12. titanzrule32
    April 20, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Shampoo or Conditioner?

One goes on first and cleans the hair. The other leaves the hair silky and smooth.

13. Mike
    April 20, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Just caught work that Allan Webster is getting the start tomorrow night for the Red Sox.

Do you see him sticking with the club from here out? I have him in a contract league and I’m weighing service time options.

• April 20, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I do not see him sticking right now, but I could see him getting 15+ starts the rest of the year, since his main competition is Alfredo Aceves and John Lackey. I think you’ll end up activiting him at some point in 2013, for what it’s worth.

14. Pedro M.
    April 20, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Better numbers the rest of the year – Evan Gattis or Matt Adams? Who gets more ABs?

Also, with Brett Anderson hurt again (although status uncertain), what kind of season do you see for Straily? Is he next in line?

Finally, who is Karim Garcia?

• April 20, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I think Gattis gets more ABs, but Adams puts up better numbers. I can’t imagine Straily isn’t the next in line, and I think he could be pretty successful. With that park, he could put up numbers similar to what Jarrod Parker did last year, but with a few more strikeouts.

And the correct answer to the last question is “who cares”?

15. Michael
    April 20, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Have someone interested in Jose Fernandez and they are offering Jean Segura/Starling Marte in return but they want someone else included in the deal. First, value wise do you feel like somebody else should be included? 2nd would Daniel Murphy or Howie Kendrick be enough in your opinion?

• April 20, 2013 at 11:01 pm

If it’s in a long-term format, I wouldn’t want to include another player in there. Fernandez is the real deal and while I really like Segura and Marte, giving up Kendrick or Murphy (especially if it’s a deeper league) isn’t great.

16. April 20, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I just saw that Rendon was called up and I am in a unique situation with my dynasty league. We have a separate minors roster of seven with a funky rule attached. If we call up a player, that spot on the minors roster is now blocked, only to be filled by the draft in the offseason. We can send the player back down, but only if we either A. call up a different player (so that the original slot is still blocked) or B. Drop a different player. I am currently using Pedro Alvarez at third. Should I call up Rendon, dropping Rasmus, or just leave him on the minors roster until he loses eligibility? Thanks for all your work! It’s fantastic!

• April 20, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I’d just bring him up – you’re going to at some point anyway and Rasmus isn’t worth altering your plans for.

17. Richie
    April 20, 2013 at 9:09 pm

12-team mixed keeper. Have to start one and drop one: Bonifacio, Jon Jay, Rajai Davis and Aaron Hicks. Since it is a keeper league I am hesitant to drop Hicks. What would your suggestion be? Thanks.

• April 20, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I’d probably drop either Bonifacio or Davis, assuming you don’t have to start Hicks right now. Depends what your steals situation is like right now. Hicks has a lot of upside, and I wouldn’t give that up yet.

18. Nick
    April 20, 2013 at 10:12 pm

What is Taylor Guerrieri’s ceiling? 2015 likely call up? Worth a stash in a 20 team 27 player roster league?

• April 20, 2013 at 11:06 pm

He could be a very good #2 starter, and yea I think we’ll see him in 2015. Assuming that’s 20 active, 7 bench, he’s right on the borderline, but I’d lean towards no since he’d be a dead spot for so long. Definitely worth keeping an eye on though.

19. Juicebox
    April 20, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Rendon called up….give me his stat line in 2016.

• April 20, 2013 at 11:08 pm

.307/.403/.519 with 21 HR, 76 RBI, 81 R and 1 SB in 475 AB.

• Juicebox
        April 20, 2013 at 11:10 pm

the 475 AB due to injury? .922 OPS is crazy good

• April 21, 2013 at 7:39 am

Yea, I’m assuming he’s always going to have some semblance of injury risk, though he’ll also accumulate fewer at bats than a lot of other players due to his ability to take a lot of walks.

20. Andy
    April 20, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Thoughts on Eduardo Nunez this year? I have him in a deep keeper league (one that doesn’t allow in-season transactions) and thought with Jeter out for part of this year, that Nunez may get me 25 SBs from SS with a .270+ average. Needless to say, he’s hasn’t roared out the gate. Fortunately, I also have Aybar and Segura, but was hoping he might prove himself this year to have long term keeper value.

• April 21, 2013 at 7:42 am

Well, on the bright side for his fantasy value, the Yankees aren’t exactly a rich org in SS talent, so he’ll likely continue to get playing time. And I do expect him to be better than he’s been, but he’s probably not worth keeping around long-term with those other options you have.

21. April 21, 2013 at 12:34 am

Would you pursue a player they(Perfect Game) label as 5 tool, like Cameron? In the lower rounds of rookie draft? Or is it too early?

• April 21, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Dazmond Camero(2015 projected 1st overall pick

• April 21, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I wouldn’t invest too much time in guys that far away. You’re talking about 3 years down the line. A lot can happen in that time, and there’s just no way I would ever invest in a high school sophomore unless it’s Bryce Harper, and we already had Bryce Harper.

22. Matt
    April 21, 2013 at 3:50 am

Rafael Montero, Toles or Hahn over any of these guys?

Wisler
    Jeimer
    Coulter
    Slade
    Miguel Almonte

Thanks!

• April 21, 2013 at 11:35 am

Those guys are all in a group to me, and I’d probably keep the guys you listed over the others on name value. If you can move some of those guys and refill your roster with Toles/Hahn/Montero, I think you’d be adding value to your team.

• April 21, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I’d take Montero over Almonte, but other than that, agree with what Craig said.

23. Troy
    April 21, 2013 at 10:09 am

Why are you down on Cingrani? Whats not to like?

• April 21, 2013 at 11:37 am

I can’t speak for Bret, but for me it’s that he has one dominant pitch, and it doesn’t appear to be all that dominant based on stuff. He gets most of his strikeouts with his fastball, but his fastball doesn’t have plus-plus velo or movement. It gets on hitters based on deception in his delivery, which is great but major league are experts at making adjustments. One time through the league, he’ll be great. Second or third time? I have my doubts. That doesn’t mean he’ll be awful – but he won’t be what he has been so far.

• April 21, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Totally agree here. Cingrani isn’t a special talent, he’s more of a one-trick pony. That one trick is good enough to be a pretty good starter in the major leagues (or excellent late inning reliever), but this isn’t a potential ace or fantasy stud.

24. Troy
    April 21, 2013 at 10:10 am

And what are your thoughts on Hyun Jin Ryu?

• April 21, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I think we’ll see his best the first time through the league. He’s a bit like Cingrani when it comes to deception, but he has a really nice change up that should stave off some of the immediate regression when the book is out. He’ll be a bit homer prone because he fastball only comes up to about 91 MPH, and is a bit true. The strikeouts should be there. He’s a 4th/5th guy in fantasy for me.

25. Nick
    April 21, 2013 at 11:13 am

Does Didi Gregorius have any trade value, either now or in the relatively near future (prior to all-star break) in a 20 team league? He is avaibable right now, and we have a few guys in rebuilding mode, so a young SS that is in the Bigs already might look good for them.

• April 21, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I would trade him right now while he has a) name value and b) is hitting well. He’s an empty average hitter at best with not enough speed to make it worth the lack of punch. He can hit for average well enough, but there’s not enough else there to make me believe.

26. Roger
    April 21, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Dynasty League 16 Teams H2H Team gets Choo Team B gets Lorezo Cain & Taijuan Walker.

• April 21, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I think it’s a fair deal if Team A is contending. I am a Cain fan, but Choo is undeniably better (especially if OBP/OPS is a category). Taijuan Walker is a big second piece but still carries risk, as does any pitching prospect. I think in a vacuum I might prefer Cain/Walker but I also might give a different answer tomorrow. Or in an hour.

27. Mr Vest
    April 21, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I was offered Carlos Gomez for Daniel Murphy in a 5×5 dynasty league. I’m on the fence about pulling the trigger because of Murph’s hot start (being a Met fan clouds my judgment further) what do you guys think? Thanks for all you do!

• April 21, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I’d pull the trigger on that in a heartbeat. Gomez is a great power/speed combo and since it’s 5×5 his OBP issues won’t kill his value. The average won’t be great but I’d still do it.

28. Alan
    April 21, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Thank you very much for all of your great work! I really appreciated your dynasty rankings earlier this year.

What are your thoughts about Kaleb Cowart? Is there a good comp for him and what do you see as his ceiling? Thanks!

• April 21, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I like Cowart well enough. I think he turns into an average MLB third baseman with decent but not great pop – maybe 20-25 homers at his peak. He won’t be a star, but is a solid guy. I don’t love comps so I’m going to stay away from that way. An ultimate ceiling? Maybe .280/.345/.470 with 24 home runs? That’s really just spitballing so don’t take it as gospel.

29. Joe
    April 21, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Have been offered Dom Brown or Chris Carter (from separate owners) for Addison Reed in dynasty where I’m rebuilding. I suspect I can get better for Reed around our trade deadline, but would still appreciate any input.

• April 21, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I’m a huge Addison Reed fan and would definitely hold out for me. He’s a potential 6 hitter with 6 power at a position of scarcity. In dynasty leagues, that’s worth a ton. He’s struggling to start the year, but he’s also VERY young for the level. He’s a guy I’d hold on to if at all possible. If you’re rebuilding, he’s the type of guy you keep, in my opinion.

• titanzrule32
        April 21, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Addison Reed, not Addison Russell

• April 21, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Woof. That’s what I get for spending a day at the ballpark. Depends on the value of closers in the league. I tend to be in favor of moving closers when I can, especially if I’m rebuilding, as their values are so volatile. He should still be closing by the trading deadline, so there’s some security there, but you just never know. I don’t think those value are SO far off, but as I said, I’m not someone who values closers highly.

30. james
    April 21, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Should I drop my backup SS, Eduardo Nunez for Didi Gregorius? If Gregorius keeps hitting, is he up for good? Thanks

• April 21, 2013 at 7:25 pm

The DBacks wanted Gregorius to have the job, so it wouldn’t shock me if he’s the starter, but as you’ll see from my answer above, I think Didi is an empty average hitter. He’s great defensively and can hit for a decent enough average, but lacks the pop to make him interesting in my eyes. I might hold on to Nunez for now.

31. Raftman
    April 21, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I’m in a 16 Team H2H Points Dynasty League and have been offered AJ Griffin for C. Carter & J. Schoop. Should I take it? I already have Hosmer and AGon for 1B and my MI is Jed Lowrie/D. Ackley, E. Rosario/J. Profar. My pitching is a bit weak and injured, so I could use the depth that Griffin would give me. Is he going to be a legit SP for a couple more years? Should I ask for more (like D. Dahl)?

Thanks!

• April 21, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I know it’s appealing because of the roster situation, but I would be hoping for more than AJ Griffin in a 16 team dynasty league for the likes of Carter/Schoop. I would either ask for me, or shop the pair around for a better pitcher.

• Raftman
        April 21, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Thanks man! I think I may counter with Griffin/Dahl for Carter/Schoop. Would that be more even valued? My league values pitching very highly (heck, we don’t even lose points for losses, which I’m not a fan of), so it’s pretty hard to peal away pitchers from people. He also has J. Johnson (already turned me down), M. Estrada, and B. Zitto.
        Should I target one of those guys instead?

Thanks again!

• April 21, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Yeah I think that evens the value out a bit, especially given the leaguewide emphasis on pitching. Estrada and Griffin are close for me, but Zito isn’t. I’d probably go for the guy with the pitchers ballpark in that situation (Griffin).

32. RJM
    April 21, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Phillies are giving 2 starts to Jonathan Pettibone this week. What can we expect? What kind of pitcher is he? Worth a flier in NL-only?

• April 21, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I’m not a big fan overall. The fastball velo (and overall) is merely average and I think it could get punished by big league hitters. He could survive for a bit because there’s not much of a book on him, but he’s not someone I’d go crazy for. I suppose it depends on what you have to give up to get him.

33. cbrett42
    April 21, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Team A gets BJ Upton, Ian Kennedy, and Josh Rutledge
    Team B gets Torii Hunter, Chase Utley, and Trevor Cahill

Is this fair? Who wins the trade? (Seems like a trade of current production for guys who are starting slow but have potential.)

• April 21, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I prefer Team A, because I think Upton and Kennedy are worth more than Hunter/Cahill, while Utley wins the 2nd base battle, I prefer Team A on the whole.

34. Bob
    April 21, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Thank you for doing this! Mike Foltynewicz, Burch Smith, Domingo Tapia, Lucas Sims, Taylor Guerrieri, and Luis Mateo. Can you rank them based on what you think their ceilings are? And then can you rank them based on the likelihood of reaching their ceilings?

35. April 21, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Guerrieri, Tapia, Sims, Mateo, Foltynewicz, Smith

I don’t like rating them separately in terms of ceiling/probability because if I think Smith is a NP then his probability of reaching that ceiling is quite high. That’s the order I’d take them in. I’m sandwiching Sims between Tapia and Mateo cause I think his ceiling is second to Guerrieri but that he has more risk than either Tapia or Mateo.

36. james
    April 21, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Trade Gattis for J. Montero in a keeper league? Is this a classic buy low, sell high? Thanks!

• April 21, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Yes, yes and more yes.

• April 21, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I have Montero in an AL-Only league and frankly, I hate him right now. That said, I don’t think Gattis is worthy of a full-time position, and I think he gets exposed in full-time ABs. I’d make the trade on the slim chance that Montero cashes in on some of his potential, knowing full well that he may just stink.

37. April 21, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Quick question! Before it ends Dynasty league 16 teams, h2h currently rocking Smoak & Matt Adams as my 1B have been offered, Freedie Freeman & Clay Buckholtz for Jose Fernandez. Pull it?

• April 21, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Yea, I’d do that. Love Fernandez, but that’s really solid value and you need the help.

• April 21, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Yeah, my disinterest in Freeman as a fantasy commodity has been noted, but in deeper leagues his consistency is great. Given the crappitude of Smoak and the inconsistent ABs for Adams, this is worthwhile.

38. April 21, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Any hope out there for Justin Smoak to turn it around?

• April 21, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Very, very little at this point. I wouldn’t be afraid to cut bait.

39. Brett
    April 21, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Hey guys, love the site!
    Just had a question about some pitchers off to a good start. What do you think of Villanueva, derek holland, and chachin (with the injury) for the rest of the year?

• April 21, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I’m not a big believer in Villanueva as a starter. He’s been great as a reliever to this point in his career, but has failed more than once as a starter. I expect him to fade as the year goes on. I think Holland is what he is at this point. Inconsistent, with equal flashes of brilliance and awfulness. Chacin is a guy I’ve generally liked, but am wary of given his home park and injury history.

40. Michael
    April 22, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Not sure if it’s too late to get in a question. I’m in a 20 team 6×6 (standard/ops/holds) dynasty league (keep 18 players each year perpetually). Last year I finished in last place and made a big investment in prospects and draft picks to rebuild. This year I’m better but still in the bottom half. My roster is below. I have solid first round talent in guys like Tulo, Upton, and Felix, but not enough supporting pieces around them to be competitive. So if you were me, would you try to trade some prospects in order to compete now or bide your time and hope to dominate in a year or two?

C – Derek Norris

– Francisco Lindor
    – Jorge Solor
    – Gerrit Cole
    – Jameson Taillon
    – Taijuan Walker

• April 23, 2013 at 10:50 am

There’s no one answer here. It’s a fluid process. It’s really hard to go from also-ran to league champion in an offseason. There’s nothing wrong with gradual improvement from one season to the next. I think you should be open to almost any trade as long as you get good value. Can you sell high on Lindor’s name value? If so, I’d probably do it. I’d be open to adding prospects to deals to make upgrades to your current team, as long as you can live with the loss of the prospect. Figure out which guys you’re willing to move and which ones you aren’t. For me, I’d keep:

Bogaerts
      Singleton (Berkman replacement)
      Soler
      Cole
      Taillon
      Walker

with some willingness to move the others FOR VALUE. I love Castellanos and have been in on him since he was drafted, but if he’s going to play the outfield, it dings his value. I own Hamilton in a similar league and have been reluctant to move him, but if this is a H2H, then I think he has less value than if it is a Roto league and you might be able to get someone to overpay. It seems like you don’t have a separate minor league roster, so I would absolutely be willing to move some guys to fill the empty spots on your roster. I’m not a fan of empty active spots if I can avoid it. But again, it’s a fluid process. The end goal should be: if you can make your team better…do it. Regardless of strategy. If it makes your team better, you should do it.

• April 23, 2013 at 11:05 am

I wrote an article that covers some of this before last season started:

Obviously some things have changed since then, both with my team and how those guys values are perceived, but remember how they were viewed at the times of the trades. I made the playoffs with my team this past season and finished second.

41. Johnny M
    February 26, 2014 at 12:15 am

I’m im the last year of rebuilding in a mixed keeper league with 11 keepers & stats that focus on power. My pitching is good, and my oldest keeper is Johnny Cueto. I was just offered Baez for Cueto. I have Bogaerts at SS long term and Machado at 3B. Tempted to take Baez hoping he’ll end up at 2B. Should I do it?

Prospect Talk: Deep Diving